Upgrading to Access 2010 64-bit version?

A previous client called because they were having compile-time errors when trying to run a legacy Access system that I had done some work on. Apparently new laptops were being added to the office with the new 64-bit version of Access 2010 installed.

After about an hour of research, I discovered that a new version of VBA has been released, VBA 7. Also, the new 64-bit version requires a qualifier "keyword" when using "Declare" statements. Most of my clients are currently sill working in older versions of Access 2003 and Access 2007. So, I must admit that this was a surprise to me. Yet it was a quick and easy fix, once the problem was discovered.

"Existing Declare statements will not compile in 64-bit VBA until they have been marked as safe for 64-bit by using the PtrSafe attribute. "   http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ee691831(v=office.14).aspx

Oops, I almost forgot. Adding the qualifier "PtrSafe" may not be the only fix you will need to implement.  There are a few additional functions, such as "StrPtr" (string converter) which I also discovered that same day, plus operators and data types that might need fixing as well.

Take a look at the Microsoft link above to learn more.  Happy upgrading!

Popular posts from this blog

Tired of those Outlook Security Warnings?

Free Websites